Pharmacologic Therapy in the Primary Care Setting
NURS 504 is approved by the Pennsylvania State Board of Nursing for health care professionals who want to acquire or renew prescriptive authority. The participants will receive 3 graduate credits and contact hours from the Pennsylvania State Nurses Association. These credits are part of the requirements for the master’s degree in nursing from Penn State. Nurses from other schools should gain approval from their institution’s adviser.
The summer course is delivered via video streams to your computer and includes independent course work. The video streams will also be archived for course reference. (Please note: It is recommended that you check with your IT administrator to understand how firewalls may interfere with video streaming access.)
The main course objectives include:
- pharmacologic concepts and principles
- clinical use of broad categories of drugs
- individualizing prescriptive drugs for patients and populations
- dose-response relationship of medications commonly used in the practice setting
- economic considerations in prescription of medications
- analyzing the impact of client motivation in seeking and adhering to medical prescriptions
Act 58 Hours
You can apply the NURS 504 Act 58 hours to Pennsylvania's required continuing education hours for nurses.