For many adult learners, the challenge of going to college is not just about finding the time, but also about being prepared for the rigors of the classroom. Transitions: College and Career Prep is an eight-week prep course where you work closely with instructors to develop or refresh the skills you'll need to succeed at Penn State.
Transitions can help you ease into the typical college course environment, by helping you to gain the skills and confidence you need to succeed, and preparing you for the next step in your education or career.
How can Transitions help me?
By focusing on learning development in many different areas, Transitions can help you:
- improve study skills, including time management, test-taking, note-taking, and general organization
- establish your educational plan through discovery of career and personal interests
- develop basic research, college-level writing, and presentation skills
- increase basic computer skills, including word processing, Internet, and email
- understand what financial aid resources are available to you
What kind of commitment should I expect?
You should expect to invest approximately 10 hours per week on the course. Students will also be well supported with instructor feedback.
What are the requirements?
The Transitions course is designed to help students who have:
- completed a GED and have not yet gone on to college
- completed a high school diploma, but have been out of school for a period of time
- attended college in the past and performed poorly
- been away from college for a period of time and want to brush up on basic skills before returning
If you are interested in registering for the next session, complete the online Transitions application, or call 814-863-1575.
March 16–May 6, 2015
Monday and Wednesday evenings • 6:00–8:30 p.m.
Outreach Building, 100 Innovation Boulevard, Innovation Park, State College
Apply for Transitions online or call Penn State Outreach and Online Education at 814-863-1575.
Co-sponsored by the Central Intermediate Unit, State College Area School District (SCASD) Community Education, and Penn State Outreach and Online Education. Registration in advance is required.
"'Transitions' is a 'dream' class for the instructors. Our students tend to be highly motivated people, determined to improve their lives. Education has always been the ticket to access to a better world, and watching students realize that they have so much to offer is exciting. Everyone needs some help in preparing for the challenges of returning to school. We have found that our 'Transitions' students acclimate to their classes faster and have more confidence than peers who have not taken the class."
Keith Mernin, Transitions program instructor
Penn State welcomes students with disabilities to participate in its educational programs. If you anticipate needing special accommodations or have questions about physical access, please contact the Office for Disability Services (ODS) or call 814-863-1807 (V/TTY).